Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My first post!

Okay so this is my first post and I am so excited!

A little about me:

I am 25 and just recently moved to California with my boyfriend (Tyler). I am originally from Pittsburgh PA and then when I was 16 moved to Seattle WA. My mom has been in the resturant business and a chef my whole life so I never needed to learn to cook. The kitchen was my moms kingdom and we didnt cross into her territory. Shes not exactly the best teacher and I have NO patience so learning to cook was never high in my list of things to do.

Okay okay I know when my mom reads this she is going to say "what!" when she sees I called her a bad teacher. So let me explain..... She is such a natural when it comes to food and the kitchen that she doesnt mesure anything! She just knows how to cut something, she knows what spice something needs by just tasting it, she just knows the kitchen is her safe place. I am the exact opposite, I am so incredibly uncomfortable and unsure of everything in the kicthen, and my patience is not real great okay I have NO patience, so my mom and I just end up giving up when it comes to the kitchen. I get impatient and just want her to do it and she loves me so much that she will just do it and not ask any questions or push me to finish the mess I started. Shes the best and I know now that her cooking and watching her as a little girl has rubbed off and I am more like her in the kitchen then I ever thought was possible. I know shes proud of me everytime I send her a picture of something i've cooked. Her support and guidence now means more to me and I tresure the kitchen and everything I cook!!

We always had amazing dinners everynight when I was growing up, and when my mom is stressed we get lots and lots of delicious baked treats! I have always watched my mom in disbelief when she was cooking its truely amazing how sure she was when she was in her element (the kitchen), she never mesures anything and just always knew exactly what to do and what ingredient something needed. I am not as sure, and I always mesure everything at least 3 times. I am always afraid I am going to mess up the recipe and not know how to fix it!

So now I am blogging about my journey to becomming at least half the cook my mom is :)

I moved to the LA area about 2 months ago and now I am the cook and grocery shopper. I am truely new to this. I have NEVER liked grocery shopping and have never had the patience to cook anything that couldnt go in the microwave. I now dont really have a choice lol there is not anyone here to cook or do my shopping so I am diving in head first and suprinsingly LOVING it! I may not be a gourmet chef like my mom or the best bargain shoppper yet but I am so proud when Tyler gets home and I have a hot meal on the table and then when it tastes good thats just a bonus!!

Thank you for checking out my blog and welcome to the crazy world of My first kitchen!!

Here is a picture of my kitchen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment