Friday, October 14, 2011

Cucumber and Avaodo Salad

This was just a quick last minute idea for lunch for Tyler. I just added some basic ingredients together that we had in the fridge, and it actually made an amazing cucumber salad, seriously probably my favorite. This would also work REALLY well as a chutney for a fish dish, I would just cut everything smaller and use less liquid. I think I just got tomorrow nights dinner figured out.

I can't even write a recipe for this one, I channeled  my mom and really just added through taste and consistency of dressing.

Here is what I did:
  1. Cubed a cucumber skin and all.
  2. Diced 1/2 an onion.
  3. Cubed an Avocado prob could have used 2
  4. 1 can of Italian diced tomatoes drained and I also squeezed all liquid out of them. I liked these because they were already cut, seasoned, and I didn't have to deal with the guts inside a fresh tomato that always grosses me out.
  5. 1/3 cup of coleslaw dressing.
  6. Lime and Lemon juice to taste, I was more generous on the lime.
  7. Drizzle just enough Olive oil and Balsamic Vinaigrette to keep things hydrated and more of a oil base and not a cream base.
  8. Salt, Pepper, and garlic to taste.
Let sit for a few hours all mixed together covered in the fridge so everything can really soak up all those crazy flavors!

There you have it a quick Salsa,chutney,salad,anything you want it to be. That is what I am really finding out about cooking, it's so fun and you are in charge of how it turns out or how it tastes by changing different ingredients, or even using more or less of something.

I absolutely love going online and finding things I can substitute different items for. I am going to post a heart healthy article tomorrow and then I will do one on baking and cooking substitutes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment